Monday, July 7, 2008

kids

my friend adam posted this on his page. although i didnt get a chance to listen to it in its entirety, the bits i caught were right on the $$ . I LOVE the part about the stickers.

my dad used to take me to the book store to pick out stickers. its one of my most favorite vivid memories ( i still have them!). I was 4 or 5 years old. it was SO special to me. i remember that, and getting doughnuts for breakfast. good times.

which brings me to another thought...june bugs going to be remembering stuff now. i wonder what memories will stand out and stay with her through the years.

ok, back to what i was saying, I think about how when i was pregnant with juniper i had no idea what we were doing, and they handed us this long list at babies r us to register for. and we did! we just figured we needed it. my mom said we didnt. mom always knows best. i should have listened. not that it wasnt convenient to have it, but ..really..we could have done w/o a bottle sanitizer ( i was breastfeeding for peets sake. my kid wouldnt even take a freakin bottle for 6 months! ) . I remember not registering for this thing called a "sleep positioner" or something like that. thats where i drew the line. i was like..ok? what the hell is this thing for?? . my kids managed to sleep just fine without it! ( oh look...thats my mother talking! ha ha!)

With avery i knew better , and got a $10 umbrella stroller which did the trick. anyhow..years later i still find myself wrapped up in this crazy p-town world of stuff stuff and more stuff.

im so glad to hear im not the only one saying wtf?? and im not even old fashioned! and its not even about the money. its about all the crap they dont need. (ok im rambling. just listen to the radio thingie)

funny, cause i just told brandon yesterday im phasing out all the plastic battery operated stuff in the house and yard. you heard me. plastic trucks anyone?. Theres about 20 of them in the front yard ripe for the picking.
Metal Tonka trucks por vida yo!!

on another note, i was reading in bay area parent magazine about extravagant bday parties and how crazy they have gotten. (ok...im a little guilty on this one, but it was a joint bday party ok!!!) they had a great idea about kids donating money to childrens charities instead of bringing gifts. i thought that was the coolest idea!!!
i cant find the article online, but its in the most recent bay area parent. so check it out if you want moms! its a great article.

lets try to keep our kids with two feet planted on the earth. and remember whats really important in life.

2 comments:

jenijennjen said...

that was exactly what i needed to read right now. i love you. thank you for staying by my side on this crazy journey of parenthood
xoxo

sweet said...

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.
love.